Position: Junior Editor
Starting Date: Immediately
Salary: R8000 – R16000 per month negotiable basic salary
VoiceMap is a Woodstock-based startup that combines storytelling and technology to produce remarkable audio tours. Our platform brings together an innovative CMS and easy to use mobile apps, establishing a platform and marketplace for this fast-growing medium. Tech is central to what we do, but we believe in putting the story first. And while the most obvious application for VoiceMap is walking tours, we also publish fictional audio dramas and site-specific soundscapes. We like to experiment.
We are looking for dynamic script editors who have a beady eye for detail, a penchant for problem solving, and an appetite for all the hard work that goes into bootstrapping something new.
You’ll spend most of your time collaborating with journalists, podcasters, tour guides and even the odd celebrity on location-aware audio tours. This is a new, technical medium and to work within its limitations, you’ll need to be happy poring over Google Maps and Streetview to perfect the text submitted through VoiceMap’s own publishing tool. You’ll also need to pitch new contributors and then talk to them via email or Skype to get them excited about telling the next VoiceMap story, and the next.
We’re a small but growing company, and we try to learn and improve constantly. We are looking for somebody who will learn quickly and have ideas of their own about how to make every tour better than the last. This is an opportunity unlike anything else in Cape Town that will put you at the frontier of new media within a fast-moving, world-class South African startup.
- An excellent command of written and spoken English combined with a pedant’s eye for detail
- An aptitude for picking up new software quickly and independently
- An ability to work to a brief, according to a house style
- A strong new media portfolio and social media presence
- Experience writing or editing for the spoken word
- Experience recording and editing audio, especially voiceovers, using Audacity or similar tools
- Experience in a goal-oriented, deadline-focused environment
Applicants should send a CV, portfolio, and brief covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Attention of Lauren Edwards.) We regret that only successful applicants will be contacted.